Tuesday 7 July 2015

Unit 40 Plan and Organise the photographic process

Plan and Organize the photographic assignment.

1.1-1.2

Identify good environmental practice relevant to the assignment

The purpose of this unit is to build up to the photographic production process. I have decided on picking a project revolving around the short films I have made, to shoot and edit. In this unit I will discuss the logistics of doing so, focusing on health and safety, location, and equipment.

Identify potential  problems relevant to the assignment.
I did not take the picture of this Rhino, I have in fact, never seen a Rhino. 

With this being done primarily outside of the building, within my own time, the risks are as you can imagine being outside. There could be debris, trip hazards, I may have to be careful around the terrain with the equipment, as well as anyone who may try to rob me and pawn my stuff.



2.1-2.7

Arrange activities in order of priority, to fulfil the photographic assignment

My first priority is to gather the needed equipment, and scout out some  locations that I find would be fitting to shoot on. From there I will try and picture the shot types, and effects that I wish to deliver with my pictures. I will select everything precisely, from file format, to shoot modes, to which software I choose to edit on. After all this has been considered and arranged to the desired effect, I will then begin to finalize the procedure by taking a few test shots and experimenting with various tools and shot types.

Identify possibilities and constraints presented by non-studio locations

Issues I might have with this, could be travel, as I have no personal transport, leaving me to haul all of the equipment to the location alone. This can be over come with preparation, by organizing a lift to the location and from. Unfortunately, there will be -NO- Coffee, so I may need to bring a thermos.  Weather will be an issue, as I do not wish to get the camera equipment damaged due to rain, or have to much sunlight glare without being able to take it away.

Obtain relevant permissions to take photographs

Since my project is outside, and going to be in local areas open to the public, I think I may not need permission to shoot any pictures, as it's within my rights to do so.

Identify insurance requirements and conditions for photographic equipment and location

I will be using camera equipment provided to me by my mentor John, since it is his property, and I am allowed to use it with expressed permission, the equipment falls under no company insurance that I am aware of, though it may be covered by Johns employers.

Identify the photographic equipment needed to complete the assignment
These images show roughly what I will be using










A bag firstly that can contain spare batteries, straps, lens caps. I will require a camera, as well as the lens, editing software will be required. Ideally some form of transport could be arranged to help me move from location to location, as well as assisting with transporting the equipment.

Make arrangements to acquire any equipment or material required, complying with organisational policies

I have already spoken to John my mentor and he has agreed to let me use his camera and equipment. I have to make sure I take proper care of the equipment.

Maintain records for all aspects of the assignment

For this I have taken pictures of the actual shooting process, the logistics required to get us to the set, as well as documenting who were directly involved, limitations with equipment and time constraints.

3.1-3.5

Work with relevant parties to resolve any questions about the assignments

To begin with, I liaised with John, bouncing questions back and forth regarding equipment, shot types, and what methods would be best used. I then went on to keep my employer Alan Rutter informed of my time spent doing this project, how long it would take, and to let him know that Johns equipment was in my care.

Identify the relevant dress code, behaviour and language for the assignment

Since this is outdoors, I won't be wearing anything smart or expensive, as I will be getting dirty and probably may have to kneel down into the foliage to get better angles. With this in mind I have chosen loose fit clothes, possibly a shirt and shorts with the weather being overly hot. I must remember to treat the public with respect, not take pictures with anybody in the frame, and not get in the way of the general public.

Agree with relevant parties the arrangements for working together

I have spoken to John who has agreed to let me use his equipment outside of work to fulfill this project. I will be editing and processing the images inside of the offices on hours, though taking the pictures will be done outside in my own free time.

Notify relevant parties in good time if it proves impossible to undertake assignments or resolve problems

I worked with three other apprentices during the filming of these movies. We made extra effort to have all of our plans laid out and organised to be sure the production would go smoothly and be easy to follow. We emailed one another and made each other aware of each others restrictions and issues so that we could find the right time, under the right weather conditions to film.











Maintain a professional approach with clients and other relevant parties


I do intend to take a week or so, perhaps longer, to shoot all of my pictures, compare them with other photographers work similar to mine own, with John my mentor. I need his feed back and input to expand on the project and show him the angles I wish to achieve.

4.1-4.3

Identify key aspects of legislation relevant to the photographic assignment


Obviously since this is on sight,  I need to adhere to common sense, respect for the public, and the land that I will be filming on. My key focus is to keep my equipment in areas that it will not easily be damaged by the surroundings, or stolen. Since this set is not particularly in the realm of access to the public, I am not anticipating there to be many people passing through, so I think the shoot will go relatively undisturbed. However, in the event I do come into contact with people, I will explain what we are doing, and ask politely that they do not disturb the set.

Identify aspects of codes of ethics/conduct relevant to planning and organising the photographic assignment

As previously mentioned, I will rely on common sense, and good judgement to see me through this unit within the eyes of the public and my mentors. A good example is not rising to any provocation given by a hostile member of the public (unlikely to happen.) and leaving before anything is damaged, or the situation escalates. Another fine example is making sure my mentors and employers are aware of where I am, what I am doing, and how long it will take during every step of the project.

Address any potential legal and ethical issues arising from the nature of the assignment 

There are chances of the public attempting to get involved, or perhaps conflict with anyone who disputes the land as there own (Unlikely again, as the area seems abandoned.) With this in mind, I will be sure to keep any equipment locked in my colleague's car, that we will not be using at the time, and place anything we are done with back inside as well. This will reduce the risk of equipment related accidents, and or theft. Obviously another primary concern is the safety of those I will be working with, so any risks they may have overlooked (and vice versa) I will be pointing out in a helpful manner.

5.1-5.2

 Identify key aspects of health and safety legislation and regulations relevant to own work environment

The area is rather desolate, old buildings stand, there are loose bricks, debris all along the floor (Wood, glass, stone.) Some of the area has cleverly disguised holes beneath the grass, so there are hazards worthy of taking note. I have documented this in Unit 17, when we were assessing the filming set, and the landscape.

Identify appropriate action to minimise potential risks and hazards involved in the assignments.

To deal with most of these common issues we have decided that clearing away rubble to expose any holes that people may trip in is a good start, and once we are able to see where we can and can't walk, we will remove any large pieces of debris that could possible pose as a trip hazard. Since the building is old and abandoned, we will just have to stay clear from any loose walls and bricks, and be careful not to push into it to avoid any bricks coming loose.

!*!Get jiggy with it!*!


No comments:

Post a Comment